This is the sixth and final salad-inspiration combo from the 6-week “On-the-Go Jar Salad” series. Respect your journey and don’t let busy-ness compromise your health goals—prep a handful of these salads for quick meals that travel well to the office, in a cooler, or on roadtrips. Keep jar upright during transport, then shake and enjoy. If you’re not adding dressing to the jar (during plane travel, for instance), find a lemon wedge, pepper, and/or olive oil (check a food court), which makes a nice, simple dressing.
These are amounts for pint-sized jars—please adjust salad fixin quantities as you see fit. Dressing amounts are also for one serving, so increase amounts based on the servings you need. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Layer 1: Garlic Lime Dressing
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1–2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp raw, unpasteurized honey
1 tsp fresh lime juice
Pinch fine-ground sea salt
Pinch fresh-ground black pepper
Layer 2: 1/4 cup red beets, small dice
Layer 3: 1/4 cup Chioggia beets, small dice
Layer 4: 1/4 cup golden beets, small dice
Layer 5: 1/2 cup baby arugula
Layer 6: 1/4 cup Granny Smith apple, sliced or diced
1. Whisk together dressing ingredients.
2. Toss your apples in lime juice to prevent oxidation.
3. Beginning with layer 1 as the bottom, fill jar in layers upwards from there.
1. You can skip the rainbow effect here and use 3/4 cup of any beets you like. You can also lightly steam or roast your beets instead of using raw.
2. This salad is also tasty with a layer of avocado added to the mix.
Now, I want to hear from YU.
Have you tried making On-the-Go Jar Salads yet?
Tell us with a comment below.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Sign up for free recipes, tips and a 5-day meal plan with shopping list and prep sheet.