This is the fourth salad-inspiration combo from the 6-week “On-the-Go Jar Salad” series. Respect your journey and don’t let busy-ness compromise your health goals—prep a handful of these salads for quick meals that travel well to the office, in a cooler, or on roadtrips. Keep jar upright during transport, then shake and enjoy. If you’re not adding dressing to the jar (during plane travel, for instance), find a lemon wedge, pepper, and/or olive oil (check a food court), which makes a nice, simple dressing.
These are amounts for pint-sized jars—please adjust salad fixin quantities as you see fit. Dressing amounts are also for one serving, so increase amounts based on the servings you need. Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Layer 1: Dressing
1/4–1/3 cup water
3 tbsp raw cashews
1 tsp nutritional yeast*
1/4–1/2 tsp dry chipotle powder (add more to taste)
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 clove fresh garlic
1/4 tsp fine-ground sea salt (add more to taste)
Layer 2: 1/4 cup cooked black beans
Layer 3: 1–2 tbsp diced, or sliced, red onion
Layer 4: 1–2 tbsp diced, or sliced, red, orange or yellow bell pepper
Layer 5: 3–4 cherry tomatoes, slice if you like
Layer 6: 1/2–3/4 cup mixed salad greens (more sweet and neutral) or arugula (nice and peppery)
Layer 7: 2–3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
Layer 8: 1/4–1/2 avocado, sliced or diced
Layer 9: 1–2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
*Nutritional yeast is loaded with B vitamins and adds a cheesy deliciousness to this dressing, but it doesn’t make or break the recipe. If you can’t find it, simple leave it out.
1. Soften cashews by soaking them in a bowl of water for 1 hour. Drain cashews, rinse well and then blend together dressing ingredients. You may have some leftover dressing for one more salad—bonus!
2. Toss your avocado in a little lime juice to prevent oxidation.
3. Beginning with layer 1 as the bottom, fill jar in layers upwards from there.
1. Try chickpeas or quinoa instead of black beans.
2. Excellent with massaged kale instead of greens if you want to change it up.
Now, I want to hear from YU.
Have you tried making On-the-Go Jar Salads yet?
What’s your idea of the perfect combo?
Tell us with a comment below.