As many of you know, YumUniverse is turning 1 on August 12, 2011 and the entries that are coming in for the big Party-Themed Recipe Contest (psst: you can win an Excalibur Dehydrator) are looking so incredible, that I have to share some of them with YU right away.
Many of you who eat a plant-based diet are probably familiar with Meghan Telpner, and for those of you who aren’t familiar with her yet, she is a powerhouse of delicious, healthy recipes and the informative and fun workshops and eBooks that teach you all the ropes.
Meghan runs a cooking school in downtown Toronto, in the colourful Parkdale neighborhood where she shares her enthusiastic and engaging approach to food. I am a huge fan of Meghan. Her philosophy is spot on. She says “noone is going to play along if the game is no fun. You’ve got to make a little love in the kitchen to bring forth sweet, simple, healthy and delicious living.”
We are all so excited for the judges tasting party next week because her Spicy Sweet Potato & Refried Bean Burrito recipe is on the menu! Give it a try and tell us what YU think.
Really want an Excalibur Dehydrator? Feeling inspired? You still have
4 days to enter! Contest closed.
– – –
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why.
Corn Salsa Ingredients
2 cups sweet organic corn, cooked
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch finely chopped cilantro
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt to taste
Corn Salsa Preparation
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Place in fridge to let flavors mix for about 1 hr before serving.
– – –
Refried Bean Filling Ingredients
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp coriander, ground
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
2 cups black beans, cooked
1 cup sweet potato, coarsely chopped
6-8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup water, if needed
1 tsp sea salt or more to taste
Burrito Filling Preparation
1. Heat oil on medium heat in large skillet or medium sized pot and add cumin, corriander and cayenne. Cook until fragrant (but not burning)2. Add garlic and cayenne and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Stir in red onion, black beans, sweet potato and tomato and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add small amounts of water if beans start to stick.
4. Sea salt and additional cayenne to taste.
5. Once sweet potato has softened, removed from heat and allow to cool slightly.
6. Using a potato masher, mash until desired consistency is achieved.
– – –
Cashew Sour Cream Ingredients
1/2 cup cashews, soaked
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, soaked
1/4 cup red pepper, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp sea salt
Cashew Sour Cream Preparation
1. Place all ingredients in blender or food processor. Process until smooth
– – –
Ingredients you will also need:
Large, organic corn tortillas (or large sprouted grain, or gluten-free tortillas if you have a sensitivity)
Additional Filling Options
1 red pepper, julienned
1 avocado sliced
1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves
2-4 cups, shredded lettuce
– – –
1. Steam corn tortilla for 2-3 minutes just until softened.
2. Dollop about 1/4 of Refried Bean filling into centre of tortilla, spreading it vertically through the middle.
3. Add additional optional toppings including lettuce, avocado, red pepper, and cilantro.
4. Option to add corn salsa inside or layer over top.
5. Carefully wrap in one end, and then both side, leaving opening on top.
6. If eating salsa on top, layer it across the top of the rolled burrito and add another dollop of cashew sour cream.
Learn more about Meghan Telpner:
When she’s not teaching, writing, making tasty things and traveling to markets on her flower laden bicycle, Meghan spends the colder months in sunny locales leading the most nourishing retreats ever.
– – –
Do you like this recipe?
Be a doll and Tweet about it, Pin it and/or share it on Facebook (I bet some folks out there in the world will be thankful you did).
Sharing rules and I sure do appreciate it.
Want to try more plant-powerful goodness?
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Get monthly video recipes and a 5-day meal plan with shopping list and prep sheet.