I came up with this recipe for my mom as part of a “treats” package for Mother’s Day. She was looking for some easy-to-make snack recipes and almond crackers make such a healthy gluten-free base for all sorts of adaptations like Onion & Poppy Seed or Red Pepper & Brown Rice. I had to share this recipe with YU because the crackers are getting rave reviews. No biased mom-filter here, the woman knows what she likes and she’ll wrinkle her nose if she doesn’t.
Unbleached parchment paper
Large glass bowl
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why.
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup yellow onion, minced (shallot works, too)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp unrefined coconut oil
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp fine ground sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and lay out two baking sheet-sized pieces of parchment paper.
2. Heat a sauté pan to medium-high and then add 1 tsp coconut oil and minced onion. Stir occasionally for 5-7 minutes until browned. Add to a large glass bowl.
3. In that large bowl, mix together all ingredients with a fork until dough forms. Use your hands to roll into a ball, and place it on one sheet of parchment.
4. Place other sheet of parchment on top of dough, and using a rolling pin, roll out until flat, about 1/8” thick. Peel back top sheet of parchment. (Wipe it off and save it for another use.)
5. Working on that bottom sheet of parchment, use a chef’s knife to carefully shape the dough into a rectangle on the paper.
6. Score cracker shapes by pressing knife down into dough to create vertical lines about 1 1/2” apart and then horizontal lines about 1 1/2” apart. Slide the parchment and dough directly onto your baking sheet.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, no longer. You want to remove from the oven just before crackers begin to brown. Allow to cool on the pan.
Try these crackers with:
… or Golden Raisin Jam…
… or Creamy Asparagus Soup. Yes, yes.
Oh, and definitely crumble them into salads for some gluten-free crunch factor.
(Thanks for the inspiration, mama.)
I want to hear from YU.
What will you enjoy these crackers with? Tell us with a comment below.