This creamy, gluten-free and dairy-free Macaroni & Cheese recipe is first from the YumUniverse video series, YU REMIX—where my favorite and your favorite recipes get REMIXed into impossibly delicious plant-based options. Bring on your cheesy lasagnas and egg-dipped french toasts. My goal is to transform the ingredients into the taste that you love with the nutrition that your body craves.
No Frankenfoods will be used in the REMIX series—you won’t find processed meat substitutes or vegan junk food either—I am going to work harder than that. I am going to share with you more of my secrets for nutritious whole food egg replacements, non-dairy milks, cheeses and more. This Mac & Cheese recipe seems to be a perfect start—we all love Mac & Cheese, right? I kinda grew up on the stuff.
Have a family favorite that you want REMIXed? Need some more options in your plant-based diet? Let me know with comments, afterall, this series is for YU.
– – –
Makes: approx. 4-5 cups
Preparation Time: 30mins
– – –
Silicone spatula or large spoon
High-powered blender OR food processor
Steamer or a double boiler with steamer
2 cups gluten-free macaroni noodles
1-2 cups organic broccoli florets
3 tbsp fresh, organic lemon juice
1 cup pure water
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp organic tahini
1 cup organic cashews, soaked
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
Let’s Get Started:
Prepare your gluten-free macaroni noodles according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Rinse and set aside.
While macaroni is boiling, steam your broccoli. Don’t over steam. Vibrant broccoli means nutrients are intact.
Place all sauce ingredients in the blender and pulse until creamy.
Place sauce, cooked noodles and steamed broccoli in a saucepan to warm for about 5 minutes. This will thicken the sauce and blend all the flavors in a pretty magical way.
Yum! Store extra in an airtight jar in the fridge. Warm over the stove or eat cold when you want more.
TIPS & SUBSTITUTIONS:
1. Try tossing a chipotle pepper into your cheese sauce and blend for a spicy version.
2. Add organic red pepper to the cheese sauce when blending for an orangish cheese sauce.
3. Add 1 tsp of Liquid Smoke (Colgin is gluten-free) to the cheese sauce for a smoked cheese flavor.
4. Make it baked! Prepare recipe as you see here, but put in a glass casserole dish. In a separate bowl, toss some organic chopped kale leaves with olive oil, a pinch of salt and gluten-free flour. Sprinkle on top of your Mac & Cheese and bake in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes. The kale tastes just like a breadcrumb topping.
5. Mix in some toasted sunflower seeds for crunch.
6. Try using sprouted grain pasta or gluten-free spirals instead of macaroni noodles.
7. Add some chopped sundried tomatoes.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Sign up for free recipes, tips and a 5-day meal plan with shopping list and prep sheet.