Hello loves! I miss YU. A lot. So, I wanted to check in to let you know that I haven’t forgotten about you. I know that these past few months new posts and recipes haven’t been as frequent, but it’s for a great reason—I’m working hard, building lots of goodness for you behind the scenes.
Here’s what’s been going on:
1. The YumUniverse book. I can’t say it enough, I’m so grateful to have partnered with BenBella Books. They believe in what I want to create for you, so I’m lucky enough to be writing, designing and photograping the entire thing with the exception of a few major photo shoots with some very talented, generous ladies (thank you Marta Sasinowska, Sage Reed, Julia Stotz and Mele Ortiz). I’m not a patient gal, so it’s borderline torture that I can’t share with you what they’ve created yet. But I can say that this book is going to be very special—loaded with over 150 NEW recipes, know-how, the works.
I’m keeping momentum rolling (while balancing the workload) with a nice daily routine that you may want to try out, since the season of stress is headed our way. I’ve been waking up, shuffling to the kitchen and preparing variations on the following inflammation-reducing goodness to enjoy throughout my day. It’s helping me minimize the health-diminishing side effects of this exciting, yet stressful process:
• Chicory root tea boosted with roasted dandelion root and licorice root: helps protect the adrenal system when cortisol and adrenaline levels are high from too much stress and excitement. Homemade almond milk or poppy seed milk (reduces inflammation)
• My favorite Pear, Cilantro Green Smoothie—healing greens, detoxifying cilantro
• Chia pudding loaded with whatever goodies I have in the pantry—toasted coconut, popped quinoa, toasted pepitas—protein and beneficial omega-3s? Check.
Put it all on a vintage tray to make it more special and get to work…
Fall is hands down my favorite season and like an old friend, it’s familiarity has helped me find some healthy balance.
I’ve battled workaholicness all my life, so this writing process is a perfect opportunity to practice the art of changing those unhealthful habits. I’m no master yet, but I’m getting better at it step-by-step. Going for walks, making sure I’m exercising regularly, and trying to get into bed by 10pm are routines that I’ve been able to maintain pretty well. Small feats for some, but huge for me since the pesky little you-can-get-more-done-if-you-skip-the-walks-and-work-until-2-am devil perches on my shoulder all too often. I just pat her on the head and say “not today.”
So, I have been sneaking away from the laptop for some outdoor action…
It’s pretty much a responsibility when I live in such a beautiful region…
… the local battlefields are so quiet. The colors, downright edible.
Creating a book kicks up a humbling combination of emotion, no doubt about it. Empowerment. Vulnerability. Overwhelm. Excitement. Exhaustion. Energy. Fear. Confidence. Fear again. However, I think it’s a combo that comes with anything that matters—anything that has the potential to make a difference.
I know that making lifestyle and dietary changes like you all are, comes with these feelings, too. They’re there because what you’re doing is important work.
If we can learn how to welcome, accept and dance with it all, that’s what makes the adventure great. And one day at a time is the name of the game.
– – –
2. YumUniverse.com has freshened up.
I’m sure you’ve noticed, but our home has a new look. I wanted it to be easier for YU to use the site on-the-go, so we’re finally responsive (which means the site works and looks better on phones/iPads). I’ve also made everything easier to navigate so newbies can find the free goodies and articles/help they need to get started. It’s also easier than ever for Lifetime Members to access their resources, eBooks and each other.
3. The Holiday Survival Guide is also back so YU can maintain your goals this holiday season without compromising taste.
I really have to admit that I have no idea what day it is most of the time lately, but I do know that the holidays are upon us! And I have no intention of leaving you hanging during what can be a stressful and challenging time for those dedicated to making health a priority.
So, I’ve brought The Holiday Survival Guide back—it’s full of my best gluten-free, plant-based recipes just in time to help you plan, party and celebrate this holiday season. Get your hands on over 50 recipes for stuffing, pie, ice cream, caramel sauce, main courses, cobblers, cookies and more. You can enjoy the holidays without compromising your health, so check out the Holiday Survival Guide and have a stress-free, memorable, delicious season ahead.
Even though I may seem MIA, know that I am working hard for YU and it’s all good stuff! Thank you for your patience with me during this important time. Ok, better get back to it. I have a lot to pull off these next few months. Cross some fingers and toes for me…
If you have suggestions for the book, the new site or you just want to share some tried and true holiday tips of your own, please share with a comment below.
I would lovelovelove to hear from YU with a comment below…
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Sign up for free recipes, tips and a 5-day meal plan with shopping list and prep sheet.