Many of YU are familiar with the amazing health benefits of chia seed, and you’ve seen me add it to everything from fresca to chili. So, I have to share yet another easy way to enjoy this powerhouse little seed—as antioxidant-rich jam!
I keep this recipe prepared and on hand in the fridge to enjoy by the spoonful, swirled into Cardamom Chia Pudding, or spread on a plain version of this Chickpea Flatbread. It’s a great way to use up berries before they perish, too. Although you know my trick for extending their shelf life, right?
Try a mixture of berries, add herbs and citrus. Experiment, have fun and share with us what YU come up with.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why.
1 1/2 cups raspberries*
1/4 cup pure water
1 tbsp raw, wild harvested honey or sweetener of choice (optional)
2 tsp chia seed
* Try strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, huckleberries, boysenberries and/or a mixture of all!
* Try adding in fresh herbs like thyme or mint.
* For extra extra fiber, stir in one tsp of psyllium and add 2 tbsp water.
* Delicious with a squeeze of fresh orange juice and 1/4 tsp fresh orange zest, too.
* Give it some kick with red pepper flakes—oh my.
Let’s get started.
1. Bring all ingredients except chia to a rolling boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in chia seed.
4. Allow to cool and enjoy.
5. Store in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Raw food tip: If you want to make a raw version of this jam, blend together 1/4 cup of raspberries, water and honey. Transfer to a bowl, and using a fork, mash up the remaining berries (gives it nice texture) and then stir in chia—allow to plumpen/thicken for about 10 minutes and voilà.
Freezer tip: You absolutely can use frozen berries for this jam, just allow them to thaw and follow instructions above.
– – –
Now, I want to hear from YU.
Tell me what you think of this recipe with a comment below.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Sign up for free recipes, tips and a 5-day meal plan with shopping list and prep sheet.