A few weeks ago I shared the game-changer that is chickpea tofu.
Today, I want to share one of my favorite ways to eat chickpea tofu—pan-fried and loaded into a wrap with a quick and easy garlic-tahini sauce, a little red onion, seared kale, and fresh lemon. If you have some Sriracha or harissa, sprinkle some of that magic on there too for good measure.
- 2 of your favorite gluten-free tortillas/wraps
- 7–10 leaves kale, stems removed and chopped
- Handful of red onion, sliced thinly or diced
- Fine-ground sea salt to taste
- Grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or unrefined coconut oil for greasing pan
- Fresh-cracked black pepper to taste (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Harissa or Sriracha (optional)
- 2 cups of Chickpea Tofu (or store-bought non-GMO, soy tofu), cut into cubes or strips
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic, sautéed or roasted
- ¼ sea salt, plus more to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place garlic cloves (in their skins) on a parchment-lined baking sheet to roast for 7 minutes. Peel and toss into the blender with remaining Garlic-Tahini Sauce ingredients—blend until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan to medium and add 1–2 tablespoons of oil. Cook chickpea tofu about 1 minute on each side, rotating to cook as many sides as possible. Once starting to brown, push to the edges of the skillet and place chopped kale in the center clearing to sear for 2–3 minutes. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of sea salt and a few grinds of pepper if using.
- If you have a gas range, quick char the tortillas directly over a low flame for 10–30 seconds to soften. You could also steam your tortilla for 10–30 seconds on each side. Once warmed and soft, lay on a plate to fill up.
- Now load up your wrap with chickpea tofu, onion, kale, Garlic-Tahini Sauce, hot sauce and lemon juice if using, leaving about 2" on all sides. Fold up bottom edge, then fold over top edge, then fold over right edge and use hand to tighten it all together, then roll left to close.
Have you tried chickpea tofu yet? What do YU think? Tell us with a comment below.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Sign up for free recipes, tips and a 5-day meal plan with shopping list and prep sheet.